Window To My Soul

Window To My Soul

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Remember Honeysuckle vine?


Oh the days gone by!  I remember when so long ago--the only truly FREE candy of spring and summer when I was a child was that of the Honeyscuckle vine.  What a delight it was to be out in the woods, on just in someone's backyard and discover this awesomely fragrant vine of honeyscuckle blooms!  My sisters and I would spend untold time picking the blooms, sucking the wonderful nectar out of the stems.  Such beautiful, simply awesome memories of my youth.

Who on earth does not absolutely love Honeysuckle?  Only someone who has a cold and indifferent heart, perhaps?

The gift
of nature--
to those who so young,
so free at heart
so poor in monetary means,
but oh so rich
in the discovery of
the beauty and richness
of the honeyscuckle vine.
Endless moments shared--
tasting the sweet nectar
hidden within the tiny stems--
the delight on our faces
(and on our tongues!)
as we sipped and sucked
to our hearts content.

Ahhhh....
the honeysuckle vine--
another of natures'
most beautiful gifts
to the very young,
the middle aged
and yes, even
those who have grown
old and gray.

Even now
whenever I find
a honeyscuckle vine
it brings back to me
my youth
my joy
my freedom
my delight
in nature's gifts.

So blessed.
So very, very blessed.
Wow.
Honeysuckle Vine!
#